Number Crunching - Flat Earth example
A quick gauge I like to use for the chance of a conspiracy theory having any truth in it is 'How many people would need to be involved and keep their mouths shut in order for this to work"?
So as I was out walking today, I started to wonder how many people, in a flat-earth scenario, would need to be involved in such a conspiracy to keep it effectively hidden from the rest of the world?
It must be millions, but I don't know if I have the mental faculty to figure it out.
(I'm not trying to take a jab at flat earthers as people, but this certainly comes across as a jab at what I see as major flaws in flat-earth logic. I don't dislike any of you who believe it. I definitely don't agree, but this exercise isn't meant to be a debate. I am curious as to a number on who would have to be complicit).
I've started breaking it into groups. I'm approaching this from the perspective that if the world were flat, which people in the world would all need to be in on it and but lying and saying it is a spheroid in order to explain what everyone else is taught.
A few examples (and please feel free to correct me if any of my assertions are flawed):
1) Anyone involved with global navigation, such as pilots, naval officers, programmers for the equipment, and those who calculate fuel usage and mileage. These are all positions that rely somewhat on calculating distances through trigonometry. I'm not a mathemetician, but I do know the trigonometry applied to a sphere is different than that applied to a plane. Therefore, anyone involved in the programming, maintenance, and use of equipment, or calculating fuel needs and mileage, would need to be SAYING they're using spheroid trig while they're actually using trig for a flat plane.
2) Snipers: this is something I learned recently, but apparently when snipers are facing an easterly or westerly direction they need to compensate for the rotation and curvature of the earth. In a flat earth scenario, anyone who teaches/studies sniping would have to be in on it so they can CLAIM they're doing this while they actually aren't.
3) Astronomers and astronauts, for obvious reasons.
4) Everyone in the opposite hemisphere: As there are different constellations and the appearance of an inverted moon, depending in which hemisphere you live.
5) Anyone who claims to have been to the South Pole.
6) World leaders, to an extent: enough world leaders would need to be involved that keeping everyone quiet can be enforced; some international network/organization would also need to exist so that one country doesn't try to shame other countries by exposing the lie (ie. What's stopping one country from exposing evidence of a flat earth to discredit an enemy?) This wouldn't need to include government at all levels, but there would be a good number of clerks in every country safeguarding this information in addition to leadership.
7) Some flat earth models (I doubt all) claim that the ice wall of Antartica is protected by the navy so no one can sail/fly out to the edge. How many ships/planes with how much staff would be required to make an effective blockade?
8) Telecommunications, maybe? I don't know what sorts of calculations need to go into broadcasting and redirecting signals, or how they might differ on a flat vs round earth.
That's all I've come up with so far with an afternoon walk's worth of thinking. Any thoughts?
[link] [comments]
source https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracytheories/comments/gbvsv9/number_crunching_flat_earth_example/
Kommentare
Kommentar veröffentlichen