I/We might be addicted to pain

So we all know that life is fundamentally suffering (or do we?). We're constantly on the prowl for sex/drugs/food/meaning/whathaveyou, and that certainly implies that there is always some fundamental lack or else why would we be on the prowl in the first place?

​

This has all been said before, but then again what hasn't? Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha, figured out a long time ago that the best way to live a happy life is to train away your desiring for happiness. Of course I'm oversimplifying by an unfathomable magnitude but I digress.

​

My point is there's a certain addictive quality to pain. On its face, pain is a negative thing but of course after the sting comes the rush of whatever chemical we're attributing to satisfaction this week.

​

There's also a certain comfort in the belief that life is suffering, and a certain comfort to wallowing in misery day after day, especially if you've gotten used to it. I think the reason we (humans) are here at all is because we can get used to just about anything. Just like Brooks from The Shawshank Redemption, we're a fundamentally institutionalized and institutionalizing species.

​

There are plenty of reasons to be sad, but if our judgement exists solely in us, if it is imposed on Reality™ by us, and not part of the fundamental structure of the "outside world," and it's all bullshit anyway, why not make yourself happy by breaking out of the cycle wherein you continuously focus on all the negative aspects of life?

​

Our culture (in particular Internet Culture™, or millenial/genz culture) is particularly focused on the negative aspects of being alive. Anyone browsing this forum needs no convincing of this. Personally, when I've spent a lot of a day looking at memes, I find myself empty, with a vague sense of wrongness by the end of it.

​

I think it's this emptiness, this numbness, that a majority of us are chasing. I think this wrongness is simply a product of observing wrongness too attentively, making depressive aspects of existence the core of one's being, adopting a (fake) devil-may-care attitude and reveling in modern day apocalypse scenarios (which admittedly seem very likely to occur at some point in the next 100 years), giving up on hope for all the wrong reasons, letting oneself be unflinchingly cynical as a defense mechanism against feeling emotion, laughing when we should be crying and vice-versa.

​

The architects of digital reality create with the express purpose of keeping the public's eyes glued to screens and raking in dollars. They are squeezing us dry but the good news is:

​

We're letting them. We don't have to let them.

​

For me, I find great comfort in the teachings of Zen and Taoism, the practice of meditation, exercise, and self-expression, but what works for me works for me, you know? Find your own reason to live. Maybe the point to life is to make it bearable, and if making it bearable means making it mean something, so be it, and if making it bearable means convincing yourself it doesn't mean anything, so be it.

​

As far as changing the world, I have no idea how or even if it should be attempted.

submitted by /u/AmorFatio
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/C_S_T/comments/mjfamo/iwe_might_be_addicted_to_pain/

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

What does "src usa" mean?

Mark Passio's A.R.K (Amazing Repository of Knowledge) Available For Download

If there is a Marek's disease scenario due to the leaky vaccine being promoted, that will mean every human will need a shot or will die