Why I'm a skeptic

When discussing UFOs with believers, I often get asked how I can still be a skeptic in this day and age. I thought I would do a FAQ to explain. I will be using the term ET or aliens for brevity, but I mean any extraordinary hypothesis like time travelers, inter/extra-dimensional beings, underwater, or highly advanced enemy technology.

How can you discount all the eyewitness testimony?

Eyewitness testimony is a lousy form of scientific evidence. If you believe eyewitness testimony is enough, then you must also believe in mermaids, Krakens, ghosts, god, Mary, etc. Around 100,000 people claimed to have seen the sun dim, change colors, spin and dance near Fatima, Portugal. Others in attendance saw nothing. Not to mention all the UFO charlatans who have been proven to have lied about their accounts.

Why would they lie?

Money, fame, attention, and acceptance. UFO celebrities get paid appearances, book deals, TV Show deals, etc. Imagine you are a nobody, and now suddenly millions of people love, respect and admire you. What a feeling, huh? What would you do to achieve it or keep it?

Do you not believe the government when they say the UFO phenomenon is real?

They admitted the footage was an actual event. They are not conceding there are extraordinary events but instead admit they don't have the resources to investigate them properly. The UAP report was very clear to point out mundane explanations for any perceived extraordinary claim.

For instance, the claim: "In a limited number of incidents, UAP reportedly appeared to exhibit unusual flight characteristics."

The possible explanation per the UAP report: "These observations could be the result of sensor errors, spoofing, or observer misperception and require additional rigorous analysis."

They mention their "trained observers" are fallible. Never once mentioning aliens, time travelers or inter/intra dimensional beings.

But they admitted they couldn't discount the ET hypothesis

Scientists also say the same thing about god (Well, maybe not Dr. Krauss :P). However, they quickly mention they don't need God to explain the universe.In cases where they can't explain something, they don't say, "well, it's possible that God did it."

So you don't believe that aliens can visit the Earth?

I do. I think people underestimate how daunting the task would be to travel between stars.

Couldn't they be so advanced that they defy the laws of physics?

I certainly keep an open mind about this, but it feels too convenient to help explain insufficient data. Religion does much handwaving like this when you try to pin them down on specifics.

Why do you keep comparing this to religion?

Psychologists have stated for a while that ufology is a kind of secular religion. We all think we are too smart to fall into a cult or an unreasonable system of belief, yet it still happens. Here are a couple of explanations as to why people join cults

  1. Cults satisfy the human desire for absolute answers. ET hypothesis fills in the knowledge gaps. People are unhampered scientific knowledge to explain anything. They can make imaginative claims and, if challenged, refer to the "aliens are more advanced" deus ex machina.
  2. Cults use an "us vs. them" mentality. I see a lot of irrational hate for "debunkers" and appear to be the "them." I understand you have your reasons but so do cults.
  3. Cult members have no idea they are in a cult. After a while, our minds will normalize anything. If you spend enough time with like-minded people, you stop being critical of theories that "feel right."

These are just a few items that I think are essential to understand my skepticism. If you want me to respond to topics important to you, I'll certainly try.

submitted by /u/Ranger-Joe
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/ps125h/why_im_a_skeptic/

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

What does "src usa" mean?

Mark Passio's A.R.K (Amazing Repository of Knowledge) Available For Download

If there is a Marek's disease scenario due to the leaky vaccine being promoted, that will mean every human will need a shot or will die